Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 6: Retro T.V. ~ The Best Way To Watch Your Resolve Dissolve.

I was full of resolve today. I was going to write. Write a lot. And write at least five pages. Unfortunately the first mistake I made was in telling someone that I was going to write. (See Day 1). The second mistake was to get sucked into the campy tune of the Brady Bunch theme. Yep. The Brady Bunch. My husband has made the Brady Bunch this summer's theme show. Every night he settles on the couch with our children for a rip roaring evening of wholesome t.v. fun. So far I have been able to evade the  popcorn and soda and giggles and sing-a-longs (my kids know the theme song inside out now). About the same time as my family is settling in for their late-night laughter I am settling in for a good night's sleep. (I have been working this summer....the rest of the family is off until September).
Alas, tonight I couldn't stay away and, I have no excuse. I am on holiday. Two blissful weeks of spending time with my family. This means that I too get to partake in the 'Deja View' marathons with my husband and children. Saturday nights have always been reserved for Lawrence Welk re-runs. Yep. Old bubble-blowing Larry Welk. True, we do enjoy the good hearted mocking banter. It's how hubby and I bond. But truth be told, I enjoy the music and we both thrive on nostalgia. We both remember the days when members of our family wore floor length ball gowns that were the same colours as the curtains in our homes.
The Golden Girls is another show that warms our hearts. My husband has a soft spot for these ladies. Especially Betty White and Bea Arthur. The fact that he watches Maude re-runs attests to these feelings.The children rarely join us for these shows.
Dallas, All in the Family and Good Times used to occupy our time nightly but now we have moved on to the original episodes of Hawaii 5-0.
Who can write when such a wealth of retro entertainment is calling to me nightly...along with my husband who, although is very supportive of my writing, would rather I massage his feet while we go back in time together?!
Time spent not writing my book, but time well spent nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment